Purchased in 1550, the Palace was chosen by Cosimo I de’ Medici and his wife Eleanor of Toledo as the new Grand Ducal residence, and it soon became the new symbol of the Medici’s power over Tuscany. It also housed the Court of other two dynasties: the House of Habsburg-Lorraine (which succeeded the Medici from 1737) and the Kings of Italy from the House of Savoy, who inhabited it from 1865. Nonetheless the palace still bears the name of its first owner, the Florentine banker Luca Pitti that in the mid-1400s started its construction – maybe after a design by Brunelleschi – at the foot of the Boboli hill beyond the Arno River.
Today the Palace is divided into five museums: the Treasury of the Grand Dukes and the Museum of Russian Icons (with the Palatine Chapel) on the ground floor, the Palatine Gallery and the Imperial and Royal Apartments on the first floor, the Gallery of Modern Art and the Museum of Costume and Fashion on the second floor.
The Medici’s collections of paintings on display with a vast array of sumptuous frames, furnishings, stuccoes, silks and Baroque frescoes
Treasury of the Grand Dukes
A rich collection of decorative arts in the Medici’s sumptuous Summer Apartments
Imperial and Royal Apartments
Three centuries of court splendour in the private rooms of the King and Queen
Gallery of Modern Art
Paintings and sculptures from Neoclassicism to the 1930s: the greatest exponents of Italian art in the sumptuous residence of the Grand Dukes of Habsburg-Lorraine
From Tuesday to Sunday, 8.15am to 6.30pm
Mondays, 1 January, 25 December
Ticket office closes one hour before the closure of the museum.
The Imperial Apartments remain closed for refurbishment works until further notice.
Visits to the mezzanine floor of the Treasure of the Grandukes are stopped until further notice.
Combined Pitti + Boboli (single price)
PassePartout 5 Days
Single ticket for 5 consecutive days for Uffizi, Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens.
On the right side of the main court.
Entrance from Pitti Square with a 20% slope. Lifts to access to the floors.
Free. On the right side of the court. Umbrellas, cumbersome bags and backpacks must be left.
In the basement, entrance on the right side of the court; in the courtyard for people with reduced mobility.
- Baby pit-stop
Dedicated room for breastfeeding, change and relax in the basement, on the right side of the court.
At the ticket office. Languages: Italian, English, French, Spanish, German. Price: 6.00 € for one pair of earphones. The delivery service is available until 4.00pm. Audio guides must be returned within 6.00pm.
In the courtyard and at the first floor.
On the right side of the court. From September to May it closes at 7 pm. From June to August it closes at 8:00pm.
- Radio whisper
Charged. On the left side of the Ammannati Court