History | Gallery of Modern Art | Pitti Palace
The Gallery of Modern Art exhibits a copious collection of paintings and sculptures dating from the beginning of the 1800s to the 1930s. It displays Canova’s Neoclassical works, Hayez’s historical paintings and the important Macchiaioli paintings of Tuscany by Fattori, Lega and Signorini.
The Gallery is on the second floor of the Palace, in the apartments that were inhabited by the Royal House of Savoy until 1920. The painting collections present a panorama of mainly figurative Tuscan works from the end of the 18th century to the first half of the 20th century. The 19th-century collection is made up of the grand ducal heritage and various private donations over the years, expecially the one of Diego Martelli, patron of the Macchiaioli movement. Whereas the 20th-century artworks were largely chosen by a special Commission for acquisitions which, from 1915 to 1945approximately, endeavoured to establish a homogeneous and representative selection of the turmoil and artistic movements of the period between the two world wars.